


Thailand is any shoppers dream come true. Markets full of treasures just waiting to be discovered. Shoe and accessory stores everywhere... with cute, often well made sandals, heels and pretty much any handbag or piece of jewelry your little heart desires. Prices range from 100- 300 Thai Baht, which is $3- 9$ US dollars.
Department stores and some boutiques will be pricier, however there are so many cheaper alternatives it hardly seems necessary to spend the money.
Sounds amazing, right? Well here comes the catch: Almost everything is "Thai Sized." By this I mean an XL is the equivalent of a M anywhere else. Let's be honest, no woman wants to be an XL or XXL, but you get used to it (sort of). I have learned to compartmentalize the sizing here. There is one category for Thai Size, and then there is everyone else.
Trends are everywhere, and street style is amazing. I love to watch what the Thai girls wear. I often find myself thinking: she looks so cute in that, but not many western woman could pull it off. For example, at the markets there are these super cute wide leg pants, with suspenders. I have seen Thai teachers wearing them at school with a blouse, and proper accessories. Anyone above a size 2 would be hard pressed to pull that off.
There is a fantastic market that runs weekly on Monday and Tuesday just down the road from NIS. There are so many great finds, it's overwhelming- and the trends are on point. Yesterday a friend and I each bought a nautical inspired tee for 170 Baht. As you can see Anthropologie has similar versions for $68- $78 and we each paid $5.48. I opted to pair mine with wide leg jeans, chunky jewelry, and a cute pair of wedges. The market had more over-sized versions that would be good with skinny jeans, and a longer necklace.
That's my quintessential shopper!
ReplyDelete